Monday, August 10, 2009

FFFF Will Promote Freethought From Many Angles

I have had the idea of organizing a Freethought Film Festival since 2002. At about the same time that I became a freethought activist, I also became a fan of independent films. The Tampa Theatre became my church, and my favorite annual event became the IFC Film Festival. Inspiration filled me after I attended these film festivals, and I have had this ember inside of me ever since my being introduced to independent films.

The Freethought Film Festival project is one that I am confident will be well received by others who value critical thinking, reason, and a non-superstitious view of our world. Not only is it a focused means through which freethought ideas can be presented to the public, but it also encourages artistic expression--a treasured humanist value. With the popularity of the movie "Religulous", and the increased visibility in the media of freethinking public figures and ideas, I think that there has never been a better time than now to make this happen.

Film makers will have a motivation to take on subject matter from which they might have passed due to social pressure. It is well known within rationalist realms that the freethinking demographic is disproportionately "mature". The Freethought Film Festival will have particular focus toward the younger generation, as a scholarship award is one of the goals of the FFFF. Young artists will be given a clear message that it is quite acceptable to question tradition for the sake of tradition, and be encouraged to portray the importance of critical thinking and freedom of inquiry through their film making talents.

A Freethought Film Festival will reach out to the next generation of freethinkers through a medium that this culture loves. Film entertains, illuminates, and educates, and it would provide great benefit to the freethought movement if this project was embraced by those who want to see it strengthen AND GROW.




Andrea Lynn Steele
Chairperson/Executive Director
Freethought Film Festival Foundation
http://www.freethoughtfilmfest.org

No comments:

Post a Comment